Khatta Meetha Chana Masala: 5 minute recipe!
You may think I am kidding when I say that I made this delicious, finger-licking, tangy-sweet-spicy Chana Masala in 5 minutes!
I have a trick up my sleeve that gives this chana its delicious khatta meetha taste: swipe right to see the said trick :). Its @mtr_foods Puliogare Paste (used for making tamarind rice). @mtr_foods has been around for so long and we use so many of their ready mixes or semi ready food packets very often. I always keep a pack of this puliogare paste in my fridge and use this in different recipes that use tamarind flavor from time to time…Yes I use it to make tamarind rice too!LOL
I have been using this trick for a long time now and it is just amazing how this Puliogare paste gives the perfect depth of flavor and that slurp worthy sweet tanginess to these Masala Chanas. I usually soak and cook my chickpeas a couple days ahead and use them over next few days in salads, hummus or curries. So if you do not have cooked chickpeas, just use canned ones and make this deliciousness asap!
1. Cooked drained chickpeas or canned (2 cups)
2. MTR Puliogare mix (2 tablespoons)
3. Turmeric powder (1 tsp)
4. Red chilli powder (2 tsp)
5. Dry coriander powder (4 tsp)
6. Cumin and mustard seeds for tempering (1/2 tsp each)
7. Oil – 1 tablespoon
8. Chopped green chillies and fresh curry leaves (optional)
9. Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a skillet and when hot add cumin and mustard seeds to splatter.
2. Add green chillies, curry leaves and bring heat to medium. Saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add all spices and MTR puliogare paste together and cook in oil for 30 seconds on medium heat – don’t let the spices burn.
4. Add cooked chickpeas, stir for 2-3 minutes and turn the heat off. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
5. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy with hot rotes or parathas…they are addictive by themselves too…ha ha I warned you!
***If using canned chickpeas, rinse and drain in fresh water 2-3 times before using.
#vegetarianfood #vegetarianfoodblogger #instagood #instapic #instalike #instafood #bayareafoodblogger #indianfoodblogger #instagram #picoftheday #homecooking #homechef