Yummy, the best shepherds pie I have had and made so simply and HEALTHY!
* 1kg mixed mushrooms
* 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
* 1 medium sweet potato, peeled, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled, minced
* ½ cup non-dairy, non-sweetened milk
* 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
* 1 celery stalk, trimmed, finely chopped
* 1 large carrot, peeled, finely chopped
* 2 tablespoons lentil flour (or plain flour)
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
* 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
* 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
* 100 g firm tofu, crumbled
* salt and pepper
1 Preheat oven then Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook sweet potato and cauliflower for 15 min until soft.
2 Meanwhile, in a large non-stick frying pan Cook onion, garlic, celery and carrot, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes, or until vegetables soften. Add rosemary, thyme and 1/2 of the small diced onion. Cook and stir for 5 minutes then add tomato sauce. Blend remaining mushrooms, crumble tofu and add to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer mixture, uncovered, for 15 minutes. If too much liquid appears add 1-2 tbsp lentil (or normal flour) and stir well. Taste with salt and pepper.
3 Mash: Drain sweet potato and cauliflower well and return potato mixture to pan. Add milk. Mash until almost smooth. Add 1/2 tsp of salt.
4.Transfer mushroom mixture to a baking dish. Top with mash, spreading roughly over the surface. Grill for 15-20 minutes, or until mash browns slightly. Serve pie sprinkled with remaining thyme or fresh herbs.