Wow this week has been a CRAZY one for me but I hope all is well for the rest of you. Ending off the week with a Sichuan 🌶 inspired recipe that I used my remaining brain juice to come up with (or rather just throwing random things into a pot and seeing if it tastes good) 🥰
Vegan Kung Pao Monkeyhead Mushrooms 宫保猴头菇 (Serves 2)
1 cup Monkeyhead Mushroom
1 tbsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1/2 tbsp Dark Soy Sauce
1 tsp Maple Syrup
1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
2 tbsp Vegetable Oil (I used Olive Oil)
2 slices Ginger (minced)
3 cloves Garlic (minced)
6 scallions (diced)
1 tsp Black Pepper (would use the authentic Sichuan Peppercorns but 🥴)
3 dried Chili Peppers (deseeded and cut into segments)
1/4 tsp Sesame Oil
1. Prepare the sauce by mixing light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, maple syrup and rice vinegar.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add the garlic, ginger, scallions and dried chili. Stir fry for 1 minute on medium heat and make sure to not burn the spices!
3. Add the Monkeyhead mushrooms (we get ours frozen so make sure to defrost them beforehand!) and cook until caramelised. Do NOT stir the mushrooms too much or they will not caramelise 😔
4. Next, stir in the sauce mix for 1-2 minutes. Then add the 1/4 tsp of sesame oil and tsp of black pepper and stir-fry under low heat until well cooked and combined.
5. Serve with brown rice, greens and tofu to make a yummy grain bowl and enjoy 🕺🏻
I served my Kung Pao Mushrooms (top left) with steamed cauliflower, brown rice, napa cabbage with tofu skin which my mom cooked and pan-fried tofu. Here’s to hoping we’ll all have a good rest over the weekend :’)