Who’s feeling festive?! Mini vegan pavlovas made using the fabulous aquafaba (chickpea water), topped with rosemary poached figs and maple candied hazelnuts. @nourish_au ??
1x 400g can chickpeas
¾ cup (165g) caster sugar
1 tsp corn flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
For the Yoghurt:
1 cup (150g) plant based yoghurt
½ cup (100g) sifted icing sugar
For the Figs:
4 figs, halved
2 rosemary sprigs
1 cup water
½ cup caster sugar
For the Hazelnuts:
25g hazelnuts, blanched skin off, roughly chopped
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 150C/130C fan. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Drain the liquid from the chickpeas into a large bowl and store to reuse at a later date.
3. Use a free-standing or hand-held electric mixer to whisk the aquafaba until thick, white and stiff. Don’t rush this – it can take at least 10 minutes on high speed. With the mixer still running, start adding the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time, whisking between each addition until the meringue is stiff again. Sprinkle over the cream of tartar and cornflour and whisk in.
4. Spoon heaped spoonfuls of meringue on the baking sheet, leaving 10cm apart. Use a spoon to make an indent on the top of each.
5. Bake for 1 hour and 30 minutes, until the outside of the meringue is crisp and firm. Leave to cool completely. If you have time, turn off the oven and leave the door slightly open for the pavlova to cool and dry out. If the pavlova cools too quickly it will collapse.
6. Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan with the rosemary sprigs over a low heat to dissolve the sugar. Add the figs and poach for 8 minutes until softened but still holding their shape. Leave to cool and infuse in the rosemary syrup.
7. Turn up the oven to 200C/180C fan. Line a small baking dish with baking paper. Place the hazelnuts on the tray and toss in the cinnamon, maple syrup and ½ tsp sea salt. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until the hazelnuts are toasted and glazed. Leave to cool and roughly chop.
8. Sifting the icing sugar over the yoghurt and mix in until smooth.
9. When pavlovas are cool, spread the yoghurt over the top and top with the roast figs, hazelnuts and rosemary leaves.