Veggie Packed Bao Buns🌱🥟
2/3 Cup Warm Water
2 + 1/4 Teaspoons Instant Yeast
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 + 1/2 Cups Plain Flour (plus more for dusting)
1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 Leek, chopped finely
180g Cabbage, shredded
1 Large Carrot, shredded
1/2 Large Capsicum, chopped finely
180g Mushrooms, chopped finely
1 Tablespoon Tamari
Pinch of Salt
1 Teaspoon Chilli Sauce/Paste
1 + 1/2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
3 + 1/2 Teaspoons minced Garlic
1 Sheet of Nori, chopped finely
Frying and Steaming:
1 Tablespoon Oil
1/2 Cup Boiled Water
1. Mix together Yeast, Water and Sugar in a Small Bowl. Set aside for 5 Minutes.
2. Whisk together Flour and a pinch of Salt in the Bowl of a Stand Mixer. Pour in the Yeast Mixture slowly and mix with a Wooden Spoon. Add Dough Hook attachment to Mixer and Knead for up to 5 minutes until smooth.
3. Form Dough into a Ball and place back into Mixing Bowl. Cover with a Tea Towel and place in a Warm Area to Rise for 45 Minutes (or until doubled in size).
4. Heat Sesame Oil in a Large Pan (medium-high Heat).
5. Add all the Chopped/Shredded Veggies (along with the Minced Garlic), to the Pan. Cook for ~4 Minutes.
6. Add the rest of Filling Ingredients and Cook for further 3 minutes (or until Veggies are Tender). Set aside to Cool.
7. Once Dough has doubled in size, punch down. Flour a flat surface, add Dough and Knead to remove air bubbles.
8. Roll Dough into a Log and cut out 8 pieces.
9. Flatten one of the Pieces with your Palm, rolling into a round wrapper. Add 1-2 Tablespoons of Mixture in the centre and fold the dough up and around the Filling, pinching in the top. Repeat with remainder of Dough/Filling.
10. Heat a bit of Oil in a Pan (medium heat). Add 4 of the Bao, pinched side up. Cook for 2-3 minutes (or until golden brown). Flip Bao over and add 1/4 Cup Boiling Water, quickly covering with a lid to trap in the Steam. Steam for 5-10 minutes (or until all Water has evaporated). Remove from pan onto serving plate. Repeat with remaining Bao.
11. Serve with desired dipping sauce. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted from @biancazapatka
-US Cup Measurements used.
-May need more flour if Dough is too wet/sticky