Vegan Zuppa Toscano Soup tonight for dinner! I was inspired by my friend @day_light0107 when she posted some she cooked for her grandparents. On my way home I thought I have all the ingredients! Here’s the recipe how I threw mine together:
2 tbsp olive oil
1 package of @gardein meatless Italian meatballs
2 tbsp vegan butter
3 tbsp flour (I used @bobsredmill oat flour)
1 yellow onion diced
1/2 tbsp fennel seeds chopped
2 tsp Mexican oregano ground finely
Ground pepper and red pepper flakes for tasting
3 cloves garlic diced
6 cups water
1 can unsweetened coconut milk plus 1 can water
Enough veggie bullion for 6 cups liquid
5 small russet potatoes peeled and chopped
3 cups kale stems removed and chopped
1 large red tomato chopped
4 baby Bella mushrooms chopped
1. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add 1 bag of @gardein meatballs to the pot and cover for about 5 minutes. Uncover and stir using a wooden spatula to scrape any pieces off the bottom of the pan. Continue to cook over medium heat until meatballs are heated and break them apart to into chunks. Remove from pot and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium low and add butter, use the spatula to scrape up the meatball remnants. Slowly add the flour and whisk until mixture is smooth and flour lumps are gone.
3. Add the onion, fennel, Mexican oregano, black pepper, a shake of red pepper flakes to coat with the flour mixture. Increase heat to medium and cook until onion is translucent. Stir frequently. Once translucent add mushrooms , tomatoes and garlic, cook for about a minute more.
4. Slowly pour the water and use the spatula to scrape the ingredients from the bottom of the pot. Increase heat to medium high , add bullion, and the can of unsweetened coconut milk. Stir to combine.
5. Add the potatoes to the pot and cover. Increase heat if needed to bring to a boil. Once boiling remove lid and reduce heat to medium, ensure potatoes are cooked fork tender.
6. Add meatballs and kale, cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
Serve and enjoy! This makes enough for 4 large servings. We are only 2 so we can’t wait for leftovers for lunch.