Vegan Fettuccini Alfredo 🧀
A very good friend of mine gave me the best 🎁 ever…the @nytcooking subscription!! Omg, I cooked my first meal from it tonight! This is going to be a go-to, everyone loved it. The sauce is so good, and would work well even over gluten-free pastas.
FOR THE PASTA:
– 1/2 tsp kosher salt, plus more as needed
– 12 ounces fettuccine, linguine or another pasta of choice (most dry pastas are vegan, but check the ingredient label to be sure)
– 1 Tbs olive oil or vegan butter
– 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
– 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
– 2 Tbs nutritional yeast
– 2 tsp lemon juice, plus more as needed
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– Black pepper, to taste
– Vegan Parmesan (optional)
– Red pepper flakes – I added this to the recipe and eyeballed it. We like it spicy!
FOR THE TOPPING (OPTIONAL):
– 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
– 1/4 cup cashews, pine nuts or shelled hemp seeds
– Pinch of fine sea salt
– Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions.
– While the pasta boils, heat the oil or butter in a small skillet over medium. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the cooked garlic to a blender (discard the oil). Add the cream cheese, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, nutmeg, 3/4 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and blend the ingredients into a creamy sauce. Season to taste with black pepper and salt, then add more lemon juice, if desired.
– To prepare the optional topping, add all ingredients to a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely ground.
– When the pasta is ready, drain it and return it to the pot over low heat. Stir in the sauce and heat the pasta until well coated and warmed through. Serve immediately, and sprinkle with vegan Parmesan or the topping, if desired.