Vegan Caramel Popcorn Cake by @thelittleblogofvegan 🧡
For the cake:
240ml dairy-free milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
225g self-raising flour
150g caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp caramel flavouring (optional)
60g vegetable or coconut oil
Tip- Make the caramel sauce a few hours in advance so it has time to cool.
For the buttercream:
90g vegan butter
1 tbsp vegan caramel sauce
250g icing sugar
Pinch of salt
For the popcorn topping:
40g plain popcorn
3 tbsp vegan caramel sauce
1. Preheat your oven to 180C/360F & line an 8 inch cake tin with grease-proof paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
Set aside for 10 min to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder & bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
4. Add the melted vegetable/coconut oil and caramel sauce into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
5. Add the wet ingredients, along with the caramel flavouring into the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Pour the batter into the lined cake tin.
Make sure to tap the tin on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
7. Pop the cake into the center of the preheated oven & bake for around 28-30 min.
You will know it’s done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and it is springy to the touch.
8. Place the cake on a cooling rack & allow to cool fully.
Once cool, pop the cake into a sealed container to keep it fresh before frosting.
1. In a bowl/stand mixer, cream the butter on high then add in the caramel sauce, icing sugar and salt.
Whip until smooth and combined.
Add in some dairy-free milk if needed.
2. Dollop the buttercream on top of the cake & swirl around using a spoon or spatula.
1. Place the popcorn in a large bowl & pour over the caramel sauce.
2. Stir together using a spoon until the popcorn is coated.
3. Place the caramel popcorn on top of the cake.
Add the caramel onto the popcorn before serving this cake.
Follow us @vegan.tipsvn for more yummy vegan recipe 🥞🌱