THIS IS MY LENTIL, ROAST PUMPKIN AND DUKKAH SALAD! It was really good.
Wanna make it vegan? Don’t put the feta on! Doesn’t even need it tbh. Still yum. Also if you can’t be bothered to cook your own lentils just get canned ones! Just make sure they’re organic ? I do it all the time.
Time: 40 mins
For the dukkah
¼ cup walnuts
¼ cup hazelnuts
¼ cup almonds
¼ cup pistachios
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
Save some ground spices to season pumpkin.
For the salad
2 tbsp olive oil
1 cup uncooked brown lentils
350g pumpkin (sliced)
¼ cup flat leaf parsley (chopped)
2 spring onions (finely sliced)
¼ cup currants
Sprinkle of crumbled feta
For the dressing
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1½ tsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Remove seeds from pumpkin and leaving the skin on, slice thinly in crescent moon shapes. Lay pumpkin on baking tray and drizzle in olive oil and ground spices and put in oven.
2. While the pumpkin is roasting, rinse your brown lentils and add to a pot with 4 cups of water. Bring the pot to boil and then reduce to a low simmer. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes. Drain well and return to pot to keep warm.
3. To make the dukkah, toast the walnuts, almonds, hazelnuts and pistachios in a frying pan stirring frequently until toasty – about 4 minutes.
4. Add the sesame seeds and continue stirring until lightly golden.
5. Put toasty nuts and seeds in food processor.
6. Add all the ground spices, salt and pepper to food processor. PULSE! But don’t over pulse.
7. To make the dressing, add the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice and honey to a bowl and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Finely chop the parsley including its stems, and the spring onion.
9. Check on the pumpkin which should be ready in 20 mins.
10. In a big bowl combine the lentils, parsley, spring onion, currants and dressing.
11. Divide evenly across four plates. Spoon lentils over pumpkin and garnish with dukkah and feta!