Sweet Potato and Corn Falafels by @cupfulofkale ❤
Follow us @veganfantasy for daily delicious vegan recipe!🌱🌱#veganfantasy
yield: 18-20 FALAFELS
1 medium-large sweet potato
1/4 cup/25g oats
2 tins (800g) chickpeas, cooked
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
3/4 cup/130g sweetcorn, drained
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1-2 tsp sriracha
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
Handful fresh coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
Handful fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Pierce the sweet potato and place in the microwave on high for 10 minutes or until soft through. If you don’t have a microwave, peel and then boil until soft.
2. Place the oats in a food processor and blitz until it resembles flour. Add the drained chickpeas, roughly chopped onion and garlic. Blitz until chickpeas are mostly broken down. I like to leave some chunky bits.
3. Transfer them mixture to a bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Once the sweet potato is cooked, cut in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh.
4. Add to the bowl and mix everything together.
5. Pop the mixture in the fridge for half hour to firm up if it seems too soft. If the mixture seems too wet, add a little flour. If it’s dry add a little water.
In a large saucepan/skillet heat a thin layer of oil on medium heat.
6. Take a tablespoon of mixture roll into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until all the mixture had gone.
7. Place 6-8 falafels in at a time, or however many you can fit it whilst allowing space around them.
8. Flatten them down with the back of a spatula and cook on each side for 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
9. Keep cooked falafels in an oven on low heat whilst the others cook.
10. Best eaten fresh but will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
Notes: You can sub the sriracha for ketchup if you don’t want the spice.
[Recipe & Photography by Tamsin from @cupfulofkale, as posted on cupfulofkale.com/sweet-potato-and-corn-falafels/]