SWEET POTATO AND COCONUT MILK STEW WITH LENTILS AND KALE by @sweet_green_pear
* 1 tablespoon coconut oil
* 1 medium yellow onion, small dice
* ½-1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
* ½ teaspoon ground coriander
* ½ teaspoon ground cumin
* ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
* 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
* sea salt and ground black pepper, to taste
* 1 ½ lbs (690 grams) sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1-inch pieces
* ½ cup brown lentils, picked over
* 4 cups vegetable stock
* 13.5 oz (400 ml) can full fat coconut milk
* 1 small bunch kale, stems removed and leaves chopped (about 4 cups chopped kale)
* To garnish: chopped cilantro, extra chili flakes, lime wedges, nigella seeds
* Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the coconut oil to the pot and let it melt. Add the onions to the pot and stir. Saute the onions until translucent and soft, about 5 minutes. Add the chili flakes, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. Saute spices until very fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the ginger and garlic to the pot and cook for another minute. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
* Add the sweet potatoes to the pot and stir to coat in the spices. Add the lentils to the pot and stir once more. Season everything liberally with salt and pepper. Add the vegetable stock and stir. Place the lid on top of the pot and bring to a boil.
* Once the stew is boiling, lower the heat to a simmer until the sweet potatoes are almost falling apart and the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes. The liquid should also be reduced by almost a third.
* Add the coconut milk and kale to the pot and stir. Place the lid on top and continue to simmer the stew until the kale is wilted and bright green, about 3-4 minutes. Season the sweet potato and coconut milk stew again with salt and pepper. Bring the stew back up to a strong simmer and check for seasoning. Adjust with more salt, pepper, chili etc. if necessary.
* Serve the sweet potato and coconut milk stew hot with chopped cilantro, extra chili flakes, lime wedges, and Nigella seeds (if using).
Follow us @vegans_town for more vegan recipes ?