SPICY ROASTED PEPPER HUMUS 🙌🏽
Humus lovers unite! I promised more humus recipes and here’s one of my favourites! This recipe has a real smokey, roasted taste, with just the right kick of spice, that takes me back to eating humus in the Middle East markets. Yalla enjoy!
30oz of cooked and drained chickpeas (equivalent of two cans)
2 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
Half a small spicy pepper
3 garlic cloves
4-6 tbsp of fresh lemon juice
10-12 tbsp of raw tahini paste
4 tbsp of olive oil and more for garnish
½ cup of cold water
1.5 tsp cumin
1.5 tsp salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350f/180c. Place your peppers, spicy pepper and garlic cloves (still in their jackets) on an oven dish and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and then place in the oven for approx. 30 mins. Remove and allow to cool.
2. Remove the seeds and stalks from both the spicy pepper and the peppers and add the pepper flesh to the mixer. I love the skins of the pepper as it adds a smokier taste but remove if you prefer #becausethatsyourbusiness. Remove the jackets from the garlic and add them to the mixer as well.
3. Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, olive oil, cumin, salt and the water to the mixer and blend for 30 seconds. Make sure to scrape mixture from the sides of the mixer and blend again.
4. Now for the fun part! Adjust to taste. Tip: If you prefer a smoother humus add more tahini and continue to blend. If you prefer it chunkier, blend the mixture for less time and go easy on the water.
5. For garnish inspiration I usually drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle paprika or zaatar and herbs, add chickpeas, roasted pepper or fried mushrooms. Serve with warm pita bread.
#meatlessmonday #humus #hummus #roastedpepper #mushrooms #vegan #dairyfree #eggfree #homemade #veganlife #wholefoodplantbased #plantbasedrecipes #veganrecipes #vegano #vegansofinstagram #vegancommunity #veganfoodie #veganeats #plantbasedeating #veganfoodlovers #plantbasedvegan #veganiseasy #whatveganseat #vegetarian #healthy #govegan #choosevegan #glutenfree #veganfood