Quick and Easy Potato Soup 🥔🍲
🍓For the roasted potato croutons:
🌱1 Tbsp olive oil
🌱3 medium yellow potatoes, unpeeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
🌱1 tsp garlic powder
🌱1/2 tsp fine sea salt
🍓For the soup:
🌱1/3 C raw cashews, soaked
🌱2 Tbsp olive oil
🌱1 large sweet onion, chopped
🌱6 medium garlic cloves, minced
🌱3 large yellow potatoes, unpeeled and roughly chopped
🌱4 1/2 C vegetable broth
🌱1 tsp fine sea salt
🌱Freshly ground black pepper
🌱2 C tightly packed baby spinach
🌱2 tsp fresh lemon juice, or to taste
🌱1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
🌱Fresh minced dill
🌱Chopped green onions
🌱Roasted potato croutons
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the “croutons”: Add the chopped potatoes into a bowl and toss with oil. Sprinkle on the garlic powder and salt and toss until combined. Spread out onto the baking sheet in an even layer. Add a sprinkle of salt. Roast for 18 min., flip the potatoes, and continue roasting for another 25 min., until browned and crispy along the edges.
3. Prepare the soup: In a large pot, add the oil, onion, and garlic. Add a pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper. Stir to combine. Sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until the onion is softened, about 4 to 5 min.
4. Stir in the potato. Sauté for a couple min.
5. Add the broth, half the salt, and a generous amount of freshly ground black pepper.
6. Increase heat and bring the soup to a low boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the soup, uncovered, for about 13 to 20 min. until the potatoes are fork tender. Turn off heat and let the soup sit for a couple min to gently cool.
7. With a ladle, carefully transfer the soup into a heavy-duty blender. Add the spinach and rinsed and drained cashews. (You might have to blend the soup in a couple batches.) With the lid ajar, blend the soup on low and slowly increase the speed until the soup is smooth. Transfer the blended soup back into the pot.
8. Taste the soup and add the remaining salt to taste, the lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
9. Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings.