Pea, parsley pesto and kale risotto
– 1.5 cups Arborio rice
– 750ml vegetable stock
– 3 sprigs of spring onion, finely sliced
– 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
– 1/4 cup pesto (or blend together 1 cup parsley leaves, 1/2 cup pepitas, 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 cloves garlic)
– 1.5 cups frozen peas
– 200g raw kale
– Juice of 1 lemon
– Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Make pesto by blending the above pesto ingredients in a food processor (parsley, pepitas etc) or alternatively buy pre-made pesto in a jar.
2. In a small pot, bring vegetable stock to a boil then turn off the heat.
3. As soon as the vegetable stock starts boiling, grab out a large saucepan/pot and sauté off spring onion with pesto for a couple of minutes in some olive oil.
4. Then add Arborio rice and stir through to evenly coat the rice in the pesto.
5. Add about 1/3 cup of vegetable stock to the rice and wait for the rice to completely absorb the liquid. Stir occasionally but not too often.
6. Continue this process by adding another 1/3 cup of vegetable stock and allow it to be absorbed. Repeat until rice is “al dente” or just cooked ?. Add in peas and kale and stir through. Might need to add another 1/3 cup of vegetable stock at this point.
7. Once the peas are warmed through and the kale is wilted. Add in the nutritional yeast and lemon. Season with salt and pepper. Stir all of the seasonings through and bon appetite ?