My venture into Vegan Cakes & Bakes- after posting this on my story last night, I have been inundated with requests for the recipe! I vowed I would not post the recipe if I didn’t think it came up to scratch and I was pleasantly surprised by my experimentation! A chocolate cake is a good place to start.. for me coffee enhances the chocolatey flavour, without being obvious, so I decided this would work. I have previously tasted some really awful vegan cheese so I tasted the vegan butter for this icing with hesitation.. I was actually pleasantly surprised and could have eaten some of it smeared on some freshly baked bread very happily! Happy baking- ? Janet
Vegan Choc Cake
1/2 tsp salt
1 & 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
60g cocoa powder
100g apple purée (I used 4 small apples which I cooked & puréed)
1 & 1/2 cups almond milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup coffee
1/2 cup flavourless vege oil
250g vegan butter
Approx 400g icing sugar, sifted
60g cocoa powder
1 tablespoon good coffee (espresso or instant dissolved in a tiny bit of water)
1tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 180c & grease & lime 2x 20cm loose-bottomed cake pans.
2. Mix almond milk & lemon to form vegan buttermilk.
3. Soft dry Ingredients- flour, BP, salt, bicarb & cocoa & add sugar.
4. Whisk wet ingredients- almond milk mixture, apple, oil, coffee, vanilla & add to dry. Whisk just till smooth.
5. Pour into pans & bake approx 30-40mins. Cool and ice. To make icing, combine ingredients & add more icing sugar or a dash of almond milk till consistency right.
#vegancakes #veganfudge #vegan #veganrecipes #veganfood #veganlife #veganfoodie #veganfoodvideos #veganfoodlover #veganbakes #elsaswholesomelifebook