🍄 Mushroom Alfredo 🍄 serves 1-2 people depending on how hungry you are
I remembered last night I had some mushrooms at the back of my fridge that needed using before the end of the week, so decided to do a little experiment. I’m verrrry glad it worked because this was perfect. Deffo gonna be a new go to.
I had it with spinach pasta which I am a big fan of tbh (just a Tesco one). So while this looks green, the sauce is acc a creamy brown thanks to the mushrooms.
1/2 white onion, cubed
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
chestnut mushrooms, sliced
spinach, cut into strips
1 heaped tbsp margarine
1 heaped tbsp flour
1/2 cup plant milk
1/4 cup pasta water
1/2 veg stock cube
salt & pepper
• fry onion and half garlic in a little oil, followed by shrooms and spinach.
• move these to one side of the pan or in a bowl for the next few steps.
• add the rest of the garlic & margarine to the pan, melting it.
• sift in the flour to form a roux.
• slowly add half the milk to the roux, mixing as you go until a thick sauce.
• add the pasta water and stock cube, dissolving it.
• mix all veg that was on the side in, mixing the sauce completely.
• once the sauce begins to take on a little of the mushrooms colour, add remaining milk as needed and salt & pepper.
• add pasta, mix and reduce sauce down so coats the pasta with a relatively thick consistency.
• serve and enjoy!
I haven’t tried this, but I imagine using a vegan cream in place of the second half of milk would work well. Once I get some cream I will be trying it!