mantou is a Chinese steamed bun, made with flour, water, and yeast. mantous may be plain or made with a sweet filling and are very similar to baos, but while baos are buns with filling, the term mantou is commonly used to refer to buns without fillings 😋 these 🍫 VEGAN CHOCOLATE SPIRAL MANTOU 🍫 is made with plant milk, has a mild sweet and chocolate flavour and taste good even on its own!// mantou or Chinese plain steamed bun was my childhood favourite and still is 🙆🏼♀️ i remember having that for afternoon tea snacks. we call them Chinese version of dinner rolls and are often served warm, freshly steamed as a breakfast or snack item, or to accompany other dishes 👅
235g all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon instant yeast
55g coconut sugar
170ml plant-based milk
1 ½ tablespoons oil of choice
8g cacao powder
1. In a mixing bowl, add flour, cornstarch, yeast and sugar, and mix. Slowly add in the milk and oil. Knead dough until it becomes a dough ball.
2. Divide dough into 2 equal portions and knead one portion for 7 minutes until the outer is smooth, then cover and set aside to rest.
3. Add cacao powder to the other portion and knead for 7 minutes until the outer is smooth, then cover and set aside to rest.
4. Roll out the rested milk dough on a piece of parchment paper and roll out into thin flat dough. Cover the rolled dough with a kitchen towel to prevent it from drying.
5. Roll out the rested chocolate dough on another piece of parchment paper and roll it out into thin flat dough.
6. Remove both pieces of parchment paper and place the chocolate dough over of milk dough. Roll the chocolate dough to allow it to stick to the milk dough.
7. Roll up the 2 doughs lengthwise and cut it into 8 portions. Place each piece on a piece of parchment paper.
8. Arrange mantou dough in a steamer rack, cover and proof for 25mins.
9. After proofing, steam mantous for 3 minutes on high, then reduce to medium heat and steam for another 15mins.