Maghmour is a simple Lebanese stew with grilled eggplant, freshly cooked chickpeas , onions and tomatoes. Absolutely easy, delicious and nutritious!
- 1 large eggplant, cut into round slices
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup of chickpeas (soak about 1/2 cup of dry chickpeas/garbanzo beans in hot water for about 2 hours or room temperature water, overnight. Then, cook (or pressure cook) the beans until tender
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp tomato paste (unsalted)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup Chopped parsley, optional
Heat a cast iron or a non-stick skillet (medium heat), add 1/4 cup olive oil and arrange the eggplant slices, sprinkle some salt, paprika and let it brown on one side for about 4-5 minutes. Carefully, flip the eggplant slices with a pair of tongs, let the slices brown and wilt for another 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set them aside
Heat a wide pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil, 6 cloves of minced garlic and 2 large sliced yellow onions, sprinkle some salt and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Now add 2 large chopped tomatoes, 1/2 tbsp tomato paste, 1 cup cooked chick peas, 1/2 cup water and 1 tsp dried mint. Stir well and cover and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove the cover, add the eggplant slices, gently mix, cover and cook for another 7-10 minutes.
Add parsley before serving.
Serve with your favorite toasted flat bread.