LEMON RICE – A South Indian staple. A great way to use up leftover rice and the peanuts and cashew nuts add a nice crunch.
1 cup white rice, cooked and cooled
1 tspn mustard seeds
1 tspn urad dhal (white lentils)
1 tspn channa dhal
1 tspn turmeric powder
1/4 tspn asafoetida
1 tbspn peanuts
1/2 tbspn cashew nuts
1 tbspn dessicated coconut
1 tbspn olive oil
1 tbspn lemon juice
1 green chilli, chopped
1 tbspn. fresh coriander, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat and when hot add the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, add the peanuts and cashew nuts and fry for a few minutes until they are lightly toasted.
2. Add the urad dhal and channa dhal and fry until slightly brown.
3. Add the green chilli, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
4. Pour this over the cooked rice then add salt, lemon juice and the dessicated coconut before mixing well. Adjust the lemon juice and salt to taste.
5. Finally add the chopped coriander and mix again.
Serve hot with plain yogurt or raita.
#southindianfood #indianfood #comfortfood #lemonrice #cookingwithspices #spices #vegetarianfood #easyindianfood #easyindianrecipes