It’s the Ugly Daalicious recipe, folks! Hit the Save button to make this comforting family favourite yourself! ?
This recipe was my Nani’s and it was primarily for days when she didn’t want to use onion or garlic, so if you want an easy, one pot dish with no chopping required, this is perfect for you! I make mine in an Instant Pot and it takes under 20 minutes ? You can use a regular pressure cooker or saucepan too; the process is the same but the cooking time may vary.
▪1 cup whole mung beans
▪3 cups water
▪1 tbsp ghee (or vegetable oil for vegans)
▪1/4 tsp asafoetida
▪1/2 tsp cumin seeds
▪2 bay leaves
▪2-3 dried chillies
▪1 tsp cumin powder
▪1 tsp turmeric
▪1/4 tsp black pepper
▪Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak 1 cup of mung beans in 3 cups of water. Soak for anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour before cooking with them.
2. Choose the Saute function on your InstantPot and on low heat, warm up the ghee.
3. When hot, sprinkle in the asafoetida and as soon as it becomes fragrant, add in the cumin seeds, bay leaves, and red chillies.
4. Once the cumin seeds start to sizzle and splutter, add in the mung beans and water.
5. Stir in the cumin powder, turmeric, salt and black pepper.
6. Seal the InstantPot and set to pressure cook on high for 12 minutes. Wait 10 minutes for the steam to release naturally, give it a stir, and enjoy! ?
Daal is best enjoyed hot with rice or roti, garnished with cilantro and with an extra drizzle of ghee! ??
#daal #dal #lentils #curry #indianfood #desi #desifood #ghee #pourshot #instantpot #instantpotrecipes #easyrecipe #vegetarianfood #protein #daalchawal #foodtalkindia #tasteofindia #noonionnogarlic #feedfeed #f52community #bonappetit #buzzfeast #huffposttaste #foodphotography #healthyfood #healthyliving #uglydelicious #thrivemags #gloriousindianfood with @boxofspice and @kulsumkunwa