It’s officially the first day of Fall. 🍂🍁
This savory dish is warm and satisfying even if our temperature isn’t as cool as I would like it to be.
Farro is substituted for rice in the risotto and tofu with fresh lemon and oregano make a tasty vegan “feta”.
🍅 Tomato Farro Risotto with Lemon & Oregano Tofu Feta 🍋
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
10 ounces organic firm tofu
1/2 cup farro, uncooked
14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
1/4 ounce fresh oregano
2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 ounces Swiss chard
2 tablespoons vegan butter
1. Peel just two garlic cloves and transfer to a small sauce pan. Add apple cider vinegar, 1 cup water, and 1 teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil. Drain the tofu and cut into half inch cubes. Once the vinegar mixture is boiling add tofu, reduce heat to low, and let simmer.
2. Peel and mince the remaining garlic. Peel and dice the onion. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add minced garlic, diced onion, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until onion softens, 3 to 4 minutes. Add farro and stir until toasted, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes and 1 cup water to the skillet with the farro mixture. Stir, and reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until farro is tender, 22 to 26 minutes.
4. Chop the oregano leaves and add to a medium bowl. Zest and halve the lemon, juice one half and cut the other half into wedges. Add lemon zest and lemon juice to the ball along with the nutritional yeast, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper. Drain the cooked tofu, discard the garlic cloves, and add the cooked tofu to the bowl with the lemon zest and juice. Gently toss to combine and refrigerate the tofu feta until ready to serve.
5. Finley sliced Swiss chard stems and roughly chopped the leaves. Once the far away is tender, add sliced Swiss chard stems, chopped Swiss chard leaves, butter and 2-3 tablespoons water, and stir. Cook until chard is bright green and tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Taste, and add salt and pepper as necessary.
6. Divide the tomato farro risotto between large bowls and t