I originally got the idea for vegan quiche from a Tasty video but I was a little underwhelmed, so I decided to make my own recipe! ⬇️
1 pie crust, frozen
1 block of medium- firm tofu, water squeezed out for a couple seconds (you don’t need to fully press it)
1 tbsp olive oil
8 strips of vegan bacon – I used lightlife smart bacon
1 leek, sliced
6 sliced white mushrooms
1 cup sliced asparagus
1 handful of chopped spinach
1 generous tbsp vegan butter
¼ cup plant based milk
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
½ tsp black salt, optional – adds “eggy” taste
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp turmeric, for color
1) Blind bake the pie crust according to the package directions for about 10 – 15 minutes – if you have pie weights, or dried beans, I highly recommend placing a piece of parchment paper on the crust, adding the weights or dried beans, covering the bottom with a good amount, so the crust bakes more evenly and doesn’t bubble up or collapse. Once crust is baked, set aside for now.
2) Chop the leeks first, and then wash the slices well because dirt builds up in the layers. Slice the mushrooms, chop the asparagus, and roughly chop the spinach up. Set veggies aside. Chop the vegan bacon in small slices or chunks.
3) Combine tofu, vegan butter, plant based milk, salt, pepper, nooch, garlic powder, paprika and turmeric into a blender or food processor. Pulse until broken down in a fine paste.
4) Heat the oil in the pan. Cook the veggies and vegan bacon: Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for a few minutes until they soften and some of the juices have been realized. Add in leeks, asparagus and vegan bacon and cook for about 5 minutes. Toss in spinach and let it wilt. Add a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.
5) Combine tofu mixture and veggies into a bowl until well incorporated. Press mixture into par-baked pie crust and put back in the oven, letting it cook for about 35-45 minutes at 375 degrees. Quiche should be firm when removed from oven.
6) Let cool for about 20 minutes and serve with a side salad or perfect roasted rosemary potatoes!