I made these burgers today on Facebook live.
Each week, I am doing a meal prep. This week it was black bean burgers. I topped it with cheese from @radical_plants 🤤
3 cups soaked and cooked or two cans of black beans
1/2 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, chopped
3⁄4 cup of finely chopped bell pepper
1 tsp bbq sauce or ketchup
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp of chili powder
1⁄2 tsp garlic powder
1⁄2 tsp of smoked paprika
1 cups of sweet potato (boiled)
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 3 tbsps water, let stand 10 minutes)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1⁄2 tsp salt
1⁄2 cup oats (optional, I will not be using these because I do not like fillers in my food)
Bread/Bun (I prefer Ezekiel bread with sesame seeds)
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone mat and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat for 2 minutes and add the onions. Cook for 5 minutes, add a tbsp of water if they start to stick. Add the garlic and cook for a couple more minutes.
3. Place the cooked onions, garlic, beans and rest of the burger ingredients, except into the sweet potatoes, into the food processor. Pulse 2-3 times. Remove the lid and scrape down the sides.
4. Add the sweet potato and pulse a few more times. Everything should be combined but not too mushy. We want chunks of beans and sweet potatoes!
5. Place the mixture into a bowl and combine it more with your hands if you like.
6. Form 8 patties and place on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
7. Bake at 425 for 13 minutes, take out! Flip and bake for 10 minutes more. (If you are
using the oats in your burges as fillers, cook for 8-9 minutes, flip then bake for 5 more).
The oats will make for a more dry burger.
8. Let cool, the burgers firm up more.