HAKKA TARO ABACUS SEEDS 🍠🧄🧅
算盘子 (Suànpán zǐ) or more commonly known as Yam Abacus seeds in Malaysia is a very unique and meaningful dish that’s served on special celebrations.
– 250g taro, cut into cubes
– 125 g tapioca flour
– pinch of salt and pepper
– water to cook the taro
Toppings & Seasonings
– 4oz firm tofu
– 1/4 cup chopped shallots
– 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
– 1/4 cup of sliced: wood ear, mushrooms
– 1 tablespoon vegan ‘oyster’ sauce & soy sauce
– a handful of chopped cilantro & green onions
– 1/2 cup water or veggie stock
– white pepper
1) Place taro cubes in a small pot and add just enough water to cover the taro. 2) Cook over high heat until taro is tender. Alternatively, steam taro until soft. 3) Transfer taro into a bowl and mash it into a fine paste & season. Stir in the tapioca starch and knead into a soft dough. Pinch a teaspoon of dough and roll it into a ball, then make a dent in the middle using your thumb and index finger.
4) Cook the taro abacus seeds in hot water until they float up, dish out into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and rub them with some oil.
5) Heat a non-stick pan with oil, then sauté shallots until translucent. Add in the mushrooms, tofu, wood ear mushrooms, garlic, and stir fry until aromatic. 6) Season accordingly. Add the water & let the mixture simmer for a minute. Add in the cooked taro abacus seeds and toss everything together until well-combined.
6)Serve warm with a side of chili.
#igfood #healthyveganfood #healthyvegan #vegetarianrecipes #soupseason #vegetarian #vegan #veganfood #plantbaseddiet #plantbasedrecipes #vegandinner #veganfoodie #veganeats #eatplants #eatyourveggies #veganbowls #plantbased #orzo #veganrecipes #veganlunch #veganbowl #healthyrecipe #wholesomeliving #wholesomelivingmy
Recipe by @woon.heng