Feeling cozy tonight with this bowl of creamy tomato vegan soup ☺️ Paired it with a slice of buttered sourdough toast + balsamic & herb roasted baby potatoes, carrots & parsnips.
I slightly modified @ambitiouskitchen’s recipe for the soup & it was SUPER tasty! It has an incredible depth of flavor from onions caramelized with balsamic vinegar, a touch of sweetness from coconut milk & the right amount of spice from freshly ground black pepper & Italian herbs.
Check out the recipe below! ⬇️
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, sliced (I used half red + 1/2 yellow)
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes (I also added in a fresh Roma tomato that I had on hand)
1 (15 oz) can full fat coconut milk
1/2-1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried sage
1 tsp salt
Lots of freshly ground black pepper
Fresh basil or parsley, if desired
Drizzle of coconut milk
1) Caramelize your onions: place a large pot over medium heat & add in olive oil, onions & a little bit of salt; stir to coat. Cook onions, stirring about every 5 minutes. If they get stuck to the pot, add a bit of water or reduce the heat. Once onions become translucent, add balsamic & stir. Continue cooking until they have caramelized (about 20 min), reduce heat to low & stir in the garlic. Cook for 2 more min.
2) Add in tomatoes & use a spoon to break them up into smaller pieces. Add coconut milk, seasonings, salt & a lot of pepper. Simmer with lid for 20 min.
3) Carefully transfer mixture to a blender or use an immersion blender. Blend until completely smooth, then transfer puree back to pot. Allow mixture to simmer for 10 more min.
4) Taste & add more salt + pepper, if necessary. Garnish with fresh herbs & a drizzle of coconut milk, if desired.
5) Serve w/toast, crackers, roasted veg, grilled cheese & enjoy!
#veganrecipes #veganfood #vegan #tomatosoup #creamytomatosoup #vegantomatosoup #dinner #easydinner #cozy #winter #soupseason #soupweather #easyrecipes #homecooking #healthydinner #healthyfood #bayareafoodie #meatlessmonday