[email protected] –
EASY LENTIL BOLOGNESE
Lentil Bolognese is a hearty vegetarian pasta sauce, made with protein-packed lentils!
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1 yellow onion , finely chopped (about 1 cup)
* 1 carrot , finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
* 1 celery stalk , finely chopped
* 3 garlic cloves , minced
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1 tsp dried oregano
* 3/4 cup dry green lentils
* 1 tbsp maple syrup
* 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
* 2 1/2 cups water
* fine sea salt
* In a large 6-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute the onion, carrot, and celery until tender.
* Add in the garlic, basil and oregano and stir briefly.
* To the vegetables, add in the lentils, maple syrup, crushed tomatoes, water, and 1 teaspoon of salt. (If the tomatoes are unsalted; otherwise start with just half the salt to be on the safe side.) Stir well, then bring the liquid to a boil.
* Once boiling, lower the heat to a small simmer and let the sauce cook uncovered until the lentils are tender, about 40 to 45 minutes. Stir every now and then to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot, and to make sure the liquid isn’t evaporating too quickly.
* When the lentils are easily smashed with a fork against the side of the pot, they are done. Season the sauce with additional salt to taste. You can also brighten up the sauce with a squeeze of fresh lemon, or a splash of balsamic vinegar, if you prefer.
* Serve warm, with your favorite cooked noodles. The leftover sauce can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
#vegan #veganfoodshare #veganfoodie #plantbasedfoodie #plantbaseddiet #vegansofig #plantbasedrecipe #vegetarianrecipes #vegancomfortfood #healthyrecipes #vegans #vegetarianfood #veganeats #veganfoodporn #vegandinner #veganfood #plantbasedfood #veganbowl #plantbasedeating #veganfoodlovers #plantbase #plantbasedvegan #plantbasedfoods #veganlunch #whatveganseat #veganrecipes #plantbasedrecipes #vegetarian #plantbased #veganfriendly