Curried Ginger, Carrot & Parsnip Stew with Lentils, Kale, and Coconut milk!
Like my friend @mise.en.spice, I love everything orange-themed, especially if it includes lentils! ??
This is a beautiful stew with all the yumminess of a ginger/carrot soup, but with the creaminess of coconut milk and the luxurious bite of lentils. And it’s vegan!
– 1/4 cup of evoo
– 1 white onion, finely chopped
– 3 inch nub of ginger, finely chopped
– 2 Thai red chillies, finely chopped
– 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
– 2 tsp turmeric
– 3 tsp curry powder
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 8 cranks of salt, 20 cranks of black pepper
– 7 cups of water
– 3 tsp of veggie Better Than Bouillon
– 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
– 3 large parsnips, peeled and diced
– 1 3/4 cups of dried green lentils, rinsed
– 1 can of full fat, unsweetened coconut milk
– 1/2 cup of parsley, finely minced
– 1 whole head of green kale, washed and ripped into bite sized pieces
– Add evoo to large sauce pot or Dutch oven on medium heat.
– Wait until evoo is shimmery then add onion.
– Once onion is translucent, add garlic, ginger, and chillies.
– Let those aromatics get fragrant, then add turmeric and curry powder.
– After those spices have bloomed for a couple minutes, add tomato paste.
– Let tomato paste coat everything and infuse for about two minutes.
– Then add water, stock, salt and pepper, and carrots and parsnips.
– Let water come to a boil, then turn on simmer for 20 minutes (lid on).
– Once carrots and parsnips are soft, blend soup until completely smooth.
– Add lentils and coconut milk.
– Let soup get to a simmer again with the lid on.
– After about 20 minutes, the lentils should be soft.
– Add parsley and kale.
– Once the kale is wilted, serve immediately!
Thank you @jenaiabarf for the inspiration and the idea to use coconut milk! Game changer!