Curried Butternut Squash Soup???— is there such a thing as posting too many butternut squash recipes? I suppose not!! This soup #pescatarian, #dairyfree, and can easily be made #vegan with a few simple swaps! It’s light and #healthy while still managing to be rich and filling— easy to serve as a main dish with bread or a side salad. The only special equipment you need is a blender! Serves 5.
-1.5lb butternut squash, peeled, deseeded, and diced
-1 whole head of garlic
-1 Tbsp ghee (replace with oil for vegan)
-1 small yellow onion, diced
-2 med carrots, peeled and diced
-3 stalks of celery, peeled and diced
-1 in knob of ginger, peeled and roughly diced
-1 Tbsp red curry paste (replace with curry powder for vegan)
-1 tsp garam masala
-1 tsp turmeric
-1 4 cups veggie broth
-1 can coconut milk
-cilantro and red pepper flakes for garnish
-salt n pepper
1. Slice the top off of the head of garlic, exposing the tops of some of the cloves. Wrap loosely in a layer of parchment paper first, then foil. Drizzle with some olive oil, sprinkle with salt, then tightly close the foil around. Place directly on oven rack and roast at 400 for 20 min.
2. While garlic is roasting, prepare the butternut squash (it takes some time to pee and dice). Place cubes on a baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then remove the garlic onto the pan with the squash and continue roasting for another 20 min or until squash is soft.
3. Heat ghee on medium and add onion, carrots, celery, ginger, garam masala, and turmeric. Turn down the heat a bit and cover, stirring occasionally until carrots are soft. If anything starts to burn or stick, add a little veggie broth.
4. When carrots are soft, after 10-15 min, add in the curry paste. Turn heat back up to med and cook for 5 more min and then deglaze with a cup of the broth and add everything in the pan to the blender.
5. When squash and garlic are roasted and cooled a bit, add to the blender. Add coconut milk and blend, slowly adding the rest of the broth until desired consistency is reached (I used all 4 cups). Blend for a few minutes until totally smooth.
6. At this step it’s ready to heat and eat!