CREAMY ROASTED GARLIC POTATO SOUP by @alphafoodie
9.5 oz garlic 3 garlic heads, or more to taste
10.2 oz potatoes 3 small; use starchy or all-purpose potatoes like russet, Yukon gold, fingerling, etc.
2.8 oz mushrooms baby Bella, button, baby portobello, shiitake, etc – you choose
5.6 oz shallots 3 medium-sized; or onion
50 fl oz vegetable stock 6.25 cups
1/4 cup homemade coconut cream (optional)
0.2 oz thyme
1/2 tsp black pepper
Step 1: Roast the garlic
1. Chop the garlic heads in half, brushing the exposed garlic with a little oil. Cover with parchment paper – try not to touch it to the surface of the garlic as it may stick. Alternatively, you can put all the garlic on parchment paper and place in the oven or pan.
2. Transfer the garlic onto a baking tray and roast in a pre-heated oven at 400°F/200ºC. Roast for about 30 minutes (up to 45, depending on the size of the heads and your particular oven). When ready, the garlic should be tender, caramelized, and lightly golden.
If you’d like the roasted garlic to caramelize further and become darker, remove the parchment at the end, reduce the heat to 350ºF/175ºC and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until your desired results.
3. Remove the garlic from the oven and allow it to cool down until you’re able to handle the heat, then gently squeeze the garlic cloves from the head. They should pop out easily.
Step 2: Prepare the remaining vegetables
1. Rinse and peel the potatoes. Then dice into small pieces (the smaller, the better for a faster cooking time. I recommend 1-inch cubes).
2. Use a slightly damp paper towel to clean the mushrooms (if you’re using them) and roughly chop them into smaller pieces.
3. Peel and finely dice the scallions.