Chickpea and Squash Moroccan Stew
Travel to Morocco with this healthy and delicious chickpea and vegetable stew.
2 tsp of coriander seeds (grind in a mortar)
1 tsp of cumin seeds (grind in a mortar)
1 medium-size cinnamon stick (break into smaller pieces with your hands)
1/2 tsp of chili flakes
1/4 tsp of hing, or substitute for 1 clove of garlic, minced
1 to 2 hot chilies, finely chopped (optional)
1 sweet bell pepper, diced small
2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
3 stalks of green onion, finely chopped
2 handful of raisins, any kind
half a squash, chopped into chunks
2 carrots, chopped into chunks
2 potatoes, chopped into chunks
2 tomatoes, chopped in medium size cubes
Oil for cooking
2 drained tins of chickpeas
1 cube of vegetable stock diluted into 1,5 liters of water
Salt to taste
Fresh coriander, finely chopped including stalks
1. Heat oil in a large pot and add coriander and cumin seeds (ground) with the cinnamon, chili flakes and hing. Stir fry until fragrant, about 1 to 2 min.
2. Add chilies, bell pepper, celery, green onions, and salt, sauté for 3 minutes. Add raisins, stir occasionally, and cook for another 3 minutes.
3. Add squash, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, and salt, stir and sauté for 5-7min.
4. Add vegetable stock, and then bring back to the boil. Lower the heat to a low simmer, cook for 15min.
5. Add the drained chickpeas, cover the pot, and cook for another 15min.
6. After 15min, turn off the stove and with a handheld mashing tool, roughly mash the combined mixture. This will thicken the stew and combine the flavors better. Avoid over mashing!
7. Serve with plenty of fresh coriander.
This and many more vegan recipes on our website, www.mirandacafe.co.uk