Chestnut mushrooms sticky rice bowl
😋 This bowl is so incredibly comforting and satisfying! Get the recipe:
Recipe (yields 4-5 servings)
– 2 cups of glutinous rice (rinse until water turns clear, and soak overnight or up to 4 hours, then drain well)
– 1/2 cup roasted chestnut
– 1/4 cup sliced Chinese/Shiitake mushrooms
– 7-8 small shallots (~100g), finely sliced
– 2 teaspoons sesame oil
– oil, salt to taste
– chopped scallion & fried shallots
🌱Sauce: 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine/vegetable broth, 1/2 tablespoon stir fry sauce, 1 teaspoon thick dark soy sauce for color (optional), 1-1.5 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper (use gluten-free sauces if needed)
1. In a heated non-stick pan with 3 teaspoons of oil, sauté shallots until fragrant, then add mushrooms and continue to sauté until aromatic.
2. Add the sauce and continue to cook until well combined & drizzle the mixture with sesame oil. Turn off the heat and set aside.
3. Place drained glutinous rice in a heat safe proof bowl and add 1 cup + 1/3 cup water. Then, top rice with the mushrooms mixture and chestnut.
4. Steam rice over high heat for 30-35 minutes. Using a chopstick/fork, fluff rice by mixing mushrooms mixture until well combined. Season to your preference. Then, steam for another 20-25 minutes. (Be sure you have enough water for steaming). Note: some brands have a softer rice texture, in that case, please adjust the cooking time.
5. Turn off the heat and let it cool off, top with fried shallots and chopped scallions before serving. I paired it with some sautéd bok choy.