Another delicious dish served during the festival of #yalda , or #yaldanight is thick, hearty soups, often using fresh herbs, legumes and seasonal root vegetables.
My mom is famous for her aush joe (barley soup), and I was inspired by @bitakitchenofficial and her aush #anar (pomegranate in Farsi) that I decided to combine the two using ingredients I had on hand. Fingers crossed neither will mind?☺️
The great thing about aush is that it can be made days in advance & using only 1 pot- that’s my kind of meal!!
?1 cup green lentils
?1 can mixed beans
?1 can black beans (extra fiber & protein)
?1.5 cups cooked mixed grains (I used barley, bulgar, quinoa & cracked wheat)
?3 cups chopped spinach
?2 cups chopped parsley
?1 cup chopped dill
?3-4 green onions
?2 cloves of garlic, chopped
?5-6 small beets (I used red & golden)
?2-3 small onions (for garnish)
?2-3 tsp crushed garlic (for garnish)
?3 tsp dried mint (for garnish)
?2 tsp turmeric
?1 tbsp flour or cornstarch
?pomegranate molasses (to taste)
1. Prepare all ingredients.
2. In a large pot (trust me you’ll need one), pour about 2.5 liters of cold water. Add lentils and bring to a boil. Cook for 3-4mins.
3. Add in chopped herbs & vegetables.
4. Simmer on medium low for 10mins.
5. Add in legumes & grains. Continue simmering for 10mins.
6. When lentils are done, mix 1 tablespoon of flour or cornstarch (#glutenfree), and some of the soupy water. Return back to the pot- this will help to thicken your aush. Continue simmering for 10more mins.
7. Pour in some pomegranate molasses to suit your taste.
7. In a pan, heat some oil, fry the onions until just golden. Add in garlic, dried mint and turmeric. Pour some into the aush, and reserve some for garnish.
#soulsoothing #hearty aush is ready, full of healthy ingredients, to be enjoyed with your loved ones, on yalda night, or any other winters night of the year!
#persianfood #yalda_night #pomgranate #vegan #vegetarian #vegetarianrecipes #vegetarianfood #veganrecipes #easyrecipes #quick_kitchen_creations #pomegranatesoup #یلدا #soupseason #آشپزی #آشپزی_آسان #آشپزی_خاص #آشپزی_ایرانی #آش_انار #آش_یلدا