Although Halloween has already passed, I couldn’t pass up sharing a vegan recipe of my all time favorite candy ever. I’m sharing with you guys these
Healthy Homemade Twix Bars by Claire Cary!
• 1 3/4 cups fine blanched almond flour
• 1/2 cup coconut flour
• 1/3 cup (vegan) butter or refined coconut oil (melted)
• 1/4 cup maple syrup
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 3/4 cup almond butter or tahini
• 2/3 cup maple syrup
• 5 tbsp refined coconut oil (melted)
• 1/4 tsp salt
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 12 ounces chocolate chips
• 1 tbsp coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the crust with a wooden spoon. It should be neither wet nor dry, a little crumbly is ok, but it should resemble a soft cookie dough consistency. If it seems too wet, just add a little more flour, too dry and add a touch more oil.
3. Add to an 8×8 baking pan lined with parchment paper hanging over both ends (so you’ll need two pieces) which will make removal much easier. Spread evenly in the pan, then use a rubber spatula to press down.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown around the edges.
5. Meanwhile, whisk together all ingredients for the caramel filling in a bowl. Be sure to melt the coconut oil or butter first, then add everything else. Whisk until completely smooth.
6. When the crust is done, let cool for about 5 minutes, then pour the caramel on top. Spread evenly.
7. Place flat in the freezer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour to set.
8. Once it has set, add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to a bowl and melt in the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval. It usually takes mine about 90 seconds total to fully melt.
9. Remove the bars from the baking tray and peel back the parchment. if the caramel sticks, just use a knife to slice it away.
10. Cut in half, then cut each half into roughly 7-8 even pieces.
11. Take two forks and dunk the bar fully into the chocolate (keeping an eye on where the caramel is since you want that on top). Let any excess chocolat