🥖Tofu Thin Bread🥖
Here is a recipe for protein-rich bread! It’s yeast free, which means there is no need for proving. You can also use this dough for a pizza base. Just bake the dough first then put your favourite toppings on and bake again.😋
-300g (10 1/2 oz) silken tofu or silken firm (1 packet)
-120 to130g (4–4 1/2 oz) wholemeal flour
-3 teaspoons baking powder
-30ml (1fl oz) olive oil
-1/4teaspoon sea salt
-1/4teaspoon unrefined sugar
-50g (1 3/4 oz) non-hydrogenated non-dairy butter
-1 teaspoon minced garlic
-Your favourite herbs, chopped (eg parsley, oregano, dill, -basil)
1. Break the tofu and boil for 2 minutes and drain. Place a heavy weight on top and let it stand for 2 hours or even overnight, or until the weight of tofu drops to between 120–130g (4–4 1/2 oz).
2. If your tofu is more than 130g, add the same amount of flour as tofu (in weight). If your tofu weight is 150g (5oz) for example, you can add 150g (5oz) flour.
3. Place the tofu in a bowl and add the olive oil. Whisk it until smooth, or process it in a small food processor.
4. In a different bowl, place the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar and mix well; then add the tofu mixture and mix together.
5. Tip the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead.
6. You may need to add extra flour at this stage if the dough is still a little bit wet. Once the dough is smooth, cover it with plastic wrap and rest in a fridge for 30 minutes. If you are in a hurry, you can move to the next step. Resting in the fridge just makes it a little easier to roll out.
7. Preheat oven to 200 (400°F). Place an oven shelf in the lowest position.
8. Meanwhile, make garlic butter. Place nondairy butter, minced garlic and herbs, in a small bowl and mix well.
9. Brush a round pizza tray with olive oil (extra) to lightly grease. Sprinkle with a little flour (extra); this will help the bread become dry with a crisp base. A pizza tray with holes is ideal.
10. Roll out the dough to form a round pizza base and spread with garlic butter.
11. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. If you like a crispy texture, you can bake for a further 5–10 minutes.