vegan “butter chicken” !!
I am the biggest sucker for all things curry and have been almost my whole life! Now that I’ve adopted a more plant based diet I have loved trying out new flavours and creating new curry recipes. This is one I made the other night that is a vegan take on butter chicken and I’m happy with how it turned out!
Makes 4 servings 🙂
For the tofu
– 450g firm tofu
– 1tbsp olive oil
– 1 tbsp cornstarch
– 1/4 tsp salt
For the sauce
– 1/2 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
– 1 large onion
– 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
– 2 cloves of garlic, minced
– 1 tbsp garam masala
– 1 tsp curry powder
– 1 tsp ground coriander
– 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 2 tbsp tomato paste
– 400ml lite coconut milk
– 1 head of broccoli
1. Press the tofu for approximately 30 minutes, or until most of the water has come out
2. Preheat the oven at 200°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper
3. Cut the tofu into large slices, then rip those slices into smaller pieces, ripping the tofu as opposed to cutting it gives it a better texture
4. Place the tofu into a large bowl and cover it with the olive oil, cornstarch and salt. Stir it around until everything evenly coated
5. Arrange the tofu evenly onto the prepared pan and bake for 25-30 minutes, give it a shake halfway through to ensure all the tofu bakes evenly
6. As the tofu bakes prepare the sauce by melting the 1/2 tbsp vegan butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until translucent.
7. Add the ginger and garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add all the spices and salt and heat until fragrant (another 1 minute)
8. Add the coconut milk and tomato paste, stir until combined and then simmer for 5-10 minutes stirring frequently
9. While the sauce is simmering prepare the broccoli by cutting it into smaller peace’s then steaming it for 4 minutes, or until slightly soft
10. When the tofu is done baking, stir it into the sauce with the broccoli. Make sure everything is evenly combined before serving it alongside some steamed rice.
I hope you enjoy! This is honestly so quick and easy and it great for a weeknight dinner ☺️?