Vegan Butter Chicken by @twospoons.ca! 🧡🌱 Made with baked tofu, simmered in a vegan curried butter chicken sauce. 😋
Follow @vegangotgame for more delicious vegan recipes!💚💚#vegangotgame
Recipe is below👇
“”Butter chicken”” tofu:
16 oz extra-firm tofu (450g)
2 tbsp neutral oil
2 tbsp corn starch, or arrowroot powder
1 tsp sea salt, finely ground
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbsp neutral oil
1 can diced tomatoes (28 fl oz/795 ml)
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
1 tbsp garam masala
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1 can coconut milk (14 fl oz/400 ml)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper flakes
1 tbsp maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Drain extra firm tofu and rinse well. Wrap in a tea towel and press tofu by wrapping in a clean tea towel and placing a few heavy books on top. Use your backsplash to secure books in place. Press for 10 minutes. Then unwrap tofu and cut into bite-sized cubes.
2. In a mixing bowl combine tofu, oil, corn starch, sea salt, garlic powder and pepper. Toss gently to combine. Line a baking tray with parchment and transfer tofu cubes onto tray spreading out so there aren’t any clumps. Bake for 20-25 mins, or until golden and crispy.
3. Meanwhile add diced onions, garlic and neutral oil to a deep skillet. Bring to medium heat and cook until onion turns transluscent (about 10 mins).
4. Pour diced tomatoes, tomato paste and freshly grated ginger. Then season with garam masala, chili powder, curry powder, cumin, and sea salt. Add coconut milk and baked tofu and bring to a low simmer. Finally, add cayenne pepper flakes for heat, and maple syrup for sweetness.
5. Scoop vegan butter chicken over cooked rice, or serve with naan bread. Sprinkle with fresh coriander.